Sunday 3 April 2011

A Word Of Encouragement

Some of you will have read this already. Thanks to Niamh for sending it out last Wednesday.

Good morning.
I think that God would like me to share something with those of you who feel like giving up on God, on church, or even on life, due to disappointments, frustrations, doubt, unbelief or whatever.

It often seems to those of us who feel that way or have in the past, that we are alone, that we are the only ones to feel that way, and as a result we want to withdraw from other people in the body. This is a trap and a snare that will only hurt you more and prolong this period for you.
There are many believers who go through these feelings on occasion or regularly, sometimes for a specific reason or for no apparent reason at all. Even those whom you think would never feel that way, because they are leaders, or jolly people, or mature believers, can suffer in this way. It can be for a short time or for a longer season and it may even come, go and come back again, like the seasons.

I would encourage you to keep talking to God about how you feel. Use the psalms that express doubt, fear, anger to God to help you keep talking to him. And try not to let shame, fear, doubt or pride stop you from asking others to pray with you and for you through this period. Some may not understand how to pray with you, or understand your feelings but I think most of us can handle it and the rest of us need to learn to handle it!

Psalm 40
I waited patiently for the Lord, he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet upon a rock and gave me a firm place to stand......
Do not withhold your mercy from me, O Lord; may your love and your truth always protect me. For troubles without number surround me, my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see. They are more than the hairs on my head, and my heart fails within me.....
Yet I am poor and needy; may the Lord think of me; You are my help and my deliverer; O my God, do not delay.
Psalm 88, 77, 73, 69 etc

Blessings
Niamh Kenny

No comments:

Post a Comment